Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Munchies and Fun at North Shore

Mayn... catch up blogs are tiring... but I know I will be very happy once this is all done... between work, church, home, FarmVille, CityVille, and my blog, I am not getting much sleep... bwahaha... I know... so stupid, brah....

 
So last Thursday, we went to North Shore for some snokeling, sightseeing, food, and fun despite the rain.  We swam at Shark's Cove (very interesting! I would've had pics if there wasn't rain and I hadn't slipped so much from the mud and rocks... it was pretty dangerous... but enjoyable nontheless) and decided to grab some grinds at one of the many shrimp trucks at North Shore.  This one was Famous Kahuku Shrimp, one recommended  by my sister (I wanted to go to the one by Sunset Beach or Giovanni's but it was too crowded for my family who hates lines... sucks... I'd line up for anything good... lol).


This place was right by the First Hawaiian Bank and the only gas station that I saw in North Shore; it was also right by Giovanni's, so when we saw the line there, we went here. It was after the large wind turbines that we saw, which we never knew Oahu had. It was very pretty, but also made me happy that Hawai'i was being more sustainable this way... Whoever did this, I vote for you (maybe...)! You can spot the gray truck from the road by looking for the purple benches.

This is there menu.. I forgot if drinks were separate... I think it was... and this includes tax, I believe... I'm not sure because I didn't pay... bwahaha... sorry...

My brother got the steak plate because he's allergic to shrimp now (my sister was allergic to shrimp and now she's not; how interesting).  Beb got the shrimp plate because I wasn't sure what he wanted so that's what I ordered for him... lol... My mom, sister, and I got the steak and shrimp plate for some variety... This is my plate above... so junk my plate because I only got one scoop of rice and everyone else got two scoops.. You trying to tell me to go on a diet? lol.... The shrimp was fresh, buttery, and garlicky and I liked how they poured the garlic butter sauce on the rice.  The mac salad was ok, but Beb didn't like it at all.  The steak wasn't tender, it was a bit tough for medium well... so it was an ok meal... but I was hoping for something better... 3 for taste but 2 for price because that's expensive man! I know it's fresh but dang...
 
On our way back to go to Waimea after lunch at the shrimp truck, we stopped by these fruit stands to get some fruit and corn!  There was a lot of people and a lot of the vendors were Filipino. I know because they were selling turon (banana lumpia) to the tourists... haha... and also because they spoke to me in Filipino... lol...

Look at the huge coconuts that I found there!  I should've checked how much it cost!  I rarely see any coconuts or coconut trees in Oahu even though we live on an island and that's weird being that we live on an island... there are a lot of palm trees by no coconut trees... maybe I'm just so used to seeing coconut trees since I came from Saipan.

This nice Filipino lady had cut-up cold fresh fruit for sale... We got the papaya and it was perfect for a hot day on the beach... even though it made me sticky...

They had a lot of fresh fruit, but I wasn't too sure if it was all grown here since I saw a lot of Dole Cannery boxes... hmm... could be from California too... lol... IDK... don't quote me on this...

 My mom got us all sweet Kahuku corn, but only she ate them.. lol... so sad... nobody wanted them... and I wasn't craving them that day then I forgot all about them... looked good though...
Our first (we stopped here first to check the waves and the weather, but it didn't look too good so I decided that we should go to Shark's Cove first while we had some sun) and last stop at North Shore was Waimea Bay (I wanted to see people surf at Sunset Beach and to watch the Sunset but we had to go... boo.. one day is not enough to spend at North Shore!).  Because I was so tired from falling and sliding at Shark's Cove, because of my kanack attack, and because I had some motion sickness meds (I need it even to go swimming, sucks now!), I decided not to go jump off the cliff at  Waimea Bay... Also, I was a chicken and I'll admit it... So I just lounged on the (cold!) beach, took pics of my brother, sister, and Beb preparing (for what seemed a long time) to and actually jumping off the cliff... then I knocked out... What a day... My poor new car is so dirty...
The sun was out and the waves were pretty big when we came back the second time (6 footers) that I have a pic of my sister running away from it... waves can get pretty tiring...

 And I just had to get a pic of this guy with his spam board shorts... haha... so cute... the pants... not the butt or anything like that... haha... so just a great day well spent at North Shore!

North Shore Ratings: 5 for price since it was free and we just had to use up MY gas, which is great this time around because my new car is gas efficient but still not that great since I still have to clean up the sand and dirt from that day! sucks! However, I do give the beaches a 1 for parking because parking totally sucked, especially Waimea Bay... We drove around a couple of times to find parking; we even followed people to see if they were leaving... but I guess it's good that North Shore is not that developed for the benefit of the locals there and for the environment... but those rocks and mud at Shark's Cove were nasty... dang... Lastly, I give North Shore a 5 for entertainment value because it was and is so much fun for everyone (family, friends, pets, etc.) and a 5  for the probability that I'll be back again soon... I can't wait to see another turtle at Sunset Beach, but that's another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment