Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes

So I was browsing some food blogs one day and saw a recipe for matcha green tea cupcakes, and since I love green tea, I decided to try and make it. However, I decided to use a green tea smoothie mix instead of genuine matcha green tea powder and I ended up making regular tasting, green-colored cupcakes, tasting nothing of green tea! Oh well!



So my friend J offered to let me use her genuine matcha green tea for my next experiment and so here is my recipe:

Ingredients:
-3 large eggs (it was supposed to be 2 large eggs and 2 large egg yolks; but I thought that was too much and Beb was busting my chops about it so, to compromise, I put in 3 large eggs... lol!)
-2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
-1 cup milk
-2 tablespoons baking powder
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature (but I cheated and used the spreadable kind!)
-2 cups sugar



1) First, I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees. I then mixed the green tea powder and milk in a bowl.



2) Then I mixed in the rest of the dry ingredients as well as the butter together with a whisk until fully mixed (an electric mixer is best to avoid lumps in the cupcakes).



3) I then mixed in the green tea milk with the dry ingredients until fully mixed. If you're using a whisk, it'll be good to pour the mixture through a sift(?) to remove lumps.



4) I then pour it as carefully as I could into the muffin tray (you could use a circle or square pan too to make a cake!) and put it in the oven for 20 mins. After 20 mins, I used a knife (you could use a fork or a kabob stick) to poke threw a cupcake. If nothing attach to it, then it's ready. If the wet mixture sticks to it, then let it sit for a few more minutes until you check it again.



I let it sit for a bit then transferred them to a plate so that it doesn't cook some more.  If you look closely, you can see some white lumps and that's because the flour wasn't fully mixed; a mixer is best (I'll get it when I can afford one! lol!). Serve when cooled.



It had some green tea flavor and tasted pretty good, but I thought it was great warm with a scoop of Rosalani Macadamia Nut Ice Cream!

I think I'm going to try and continue to improve this recipe. I think a little bit of veggie oil will make it moister (?). I do want to try and make green tea cheesecake though! Someday soon!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment